When it comes to shipping, freight, cartage services, and logistics, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by all there is to know. If all you want is to get inventory from one place to another, the minutiae of setting this up can really slow you down.
For instance, do you need to supply your own equipment? What about extras like pads, flatbeds, tarps, or other freight supplies? How do you know whether the price you’ve been quoted is competitive? And what’s the difference between cartage services and freight?
Confused yet? You needn’t be. Once you know the basics, making an informed choice about cartage services is easy! Best practices include:
- Look for rates that are competitive with other cartage services in your area.
- Some services will use the terms “cartage” and “freight” interchangeably. Technically though, “cartage” refers to shipments within a predefined, localized area.
- Insist on professionals who are available 24/7/365. You never know when you’ll need to move inventory at night, on the weekends, or during a holiday.
- Always request or seek out customer testimonials.
- Look for cartage services that supply appropriate tools and features to ensure that your items arrive on time and in perfect condition.
Cartage services involve shipping freight within a city or localized area, usually via truck. This should not be confused with cross-town shipping, which most often involves the use of railroads. Cartage services may include moving inventory to or from a business or retail location. It might also involve items that have not yet been warehoused, such as during cross-docking.
Regardless of whether the inventory comes from a business, a warehouse, or the local airport—moving it to another location within the city can fall under the general heading of cartage services. To get the most competitive rates on cartage services in your area, contact Dependable Express: 1-800-349-9161.